The Star and Garter Home, Richmond on Thames Volunteer Badge (1916 to 1922)
The Star and Garter Home, Richmond on Thames Volunteer Badge the reverse engraved
“Charles Edward Jolley Mus Doc Oxon FRCO”
In fitted presentation case maker reverse J R Gaunt, London.
This Badge was worn by volunteers at the Star and Garter Home, Richmond on Thames. It was designed by the Artist Eleanor Fortescue Brickdale (1871 to 1945) one of the many supporters of the Home. The Badge was only in use between 1916 and 1922. The Badge features the Red Cross emblem which illustrates the close connection between the Home and the British Red Cross Society, which managed the Home until it became independent in 1922.
Dr Charles Edward Jolley was a Doctor of Music, born in 1860, he graduated B Music from New College Oxford in 1888, the son of a former Mayor of Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire, organist at St George’s Church, Hanover Square, London for 50 years (1892 to 1942), the 1911 census records he is a Professor of Music residing at 55 Westover Road, Wandsworth with his wife Lilian and son, later he resided at 35 Canfield Gardens, London, NW6. He died in 1949 aged 89 years.
An unusual piece.
EF £125 Available
The Royal Hampshire County Hospital Winchester Nursing Medal in 9 carat Gold (30.6 g) awarded to the top Student Nurse on qualifying as State Registered Nurse (SRN) in 1931.
The Royal Hampshire County Hospital Winchester Gold Nursing Medal the reverse engraved
“Dorothy Pearl Dovey 1931”
In fitted presentation case Hallmark reverse for Birmingham 1931 and 375. Medal 3cms diameter.
Dorothy Pearl Covey was born in Netley Marsh, New Forest Hampshire 17th December 1909. The 1911 census records she is 1 year old residing with her father George Isaac Covey a Farmer and mother Annie Isabel at Brooks Hill, Testwood, Near Totton, Southampton. Miss Covey qualified as a State Registered Nurse No 60624 on 26th June 1931, she had trained at The Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester 1928 to 1931 and was the top student of her class. She married in 1934 and became Mrs Longhurst, during the 1940’s she resided at “Rycroft”, Greenhill Road, Winchester. She married again in 1974 and became Mrs Nichols and died in Winchester in 1997 aged 88 years.
EF £425 Available
Grand Master London Rifle Brigade Lodge Jewel in 15 carat Gold and enamels to Brother William Henry Latham 19th Master 1900 to 1901.
Grand Master London Rifle Brigade Lodge Jewel in 15 carat Gold and enamels the reverse engraved –
“London Rifle Brigade Lodge No 1962 presented to Bro William Henry Latham PM as a token of esteem & in recognition of his valuable services as 19th Master 1900 to 1901”
In Spencer and Co Masonic Manufacturers 15 Great Queen St, London presentation case. The reverse of the Jewel with Birmingham Hallmark 1900, 15 carat gold mark and Spencer, London.
With two original newspaper cuttings relating to the Lodge, one with a photo of Mr Latham depicted here when elected Master.
The London Rifle Brigade Lodge which is numbered 1962 on the Register of Grand Lodge of England and has now entered on the eighteenth year (in 1899) of its existence, held its installation meeting in Friday at Andersons Hotel. Named after the celebrated Volunteer Regiment of the Metropolis, the London Rifle Brigade, its membership is confined to officers, non commissioned officers and men of that Corps.
EF £750 Available
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Regular Army E2, Warrant Officer Class 2, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers taken prisoner in Greece by ELAS fighters 13th December 1944 later released during the Greek Civil War, post German withdrawal.
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Regular Army E2
134665 WO CL 2 C S Harper REME
With copy War Office casualty report entries.
Taken prisoner by ELAS fighters during the Greek Civil War 13th December 1944, whilst serving as a Lance Corporal, Royal Army Service Corps, later released.
Following the withdrawal of German forces from Greece – On the 13th December 1944, ARKFORCE troops continued to vigorously defend and area 4000 by 5000 yards in the centre of ATHENS. At 0330 that morning, a heavy barrage of mortar fire was directed at the infantry barracks on the North East corner of the military district and in excess of 1000 ELAS fighters of ELAS “Force No 1”, some disguised as friendly Gendarmerie and Greek National Guardsmen. This was the location of 23rd Armd Bde’s Rear HQ and Signal squadron, the Artillery’s Field guns and the largest supply depot in ATHENS. ELAS Force No.1, was commanded by Major Mavrothalassitis, OC 3rd Regt along with Kommisar Stefanos and consisted of the following formations: · 4 Coys of 1st (Corinth) Btn (7th Gp) · 3 Coys of 3rd Btn (3rd Regt, 2nd Bde) · 2 Coys of 2nd (Ampelokipi) Regt, 2nd Div · A troop of artillery in support. · Dynamite Squads in anti-tank role. Entering through a hole, blown in the 10 feet high north perimeter wall, the force attacked the HQ Squadron Offices and 23rd Armd Bde HQ Signals. The telephone exchange was riddled with bullets and set on fire. Signalmen Bonser was shot in the head (and died of his wounds the next day) and every other duty operator within was seriously wounded. Only Signalman N. Booth escaped injury by feigning his own death. All normal communications with Bde HQ were quickly lost. But despite ELAS best efforts, Cpl W.H. Stevenson and Signalman E. Knott of 23rd Armd Bde Signals would not let them into the radio room so radio communications with ARKFORCE was maintained. Troops from ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ defence platoons (mostly 331 Coy RASC) and the workshops staff of 331 Coy RASC were all overrun and were forced to withdraw to their pre-planned positions. Only ‘D’ platoon held their ground until the building they were in was set ablaze. As soon as ARKFORCE HQ got wind of the attack 23rd Armd Bde’s Infantry Reserves, 2nd Btn The Kings Regiment (2 KINGS), who had only been flown in the day before, were ordered to stand-to. At the same time, Lt Simpkins, one of the Bde HQ’s Liaison Officers (LO), was despatched to the infantry barracks to assess the situation. At 0430, Lt Simpkins found that a fierce fight had broken out in the area of the POL stores with ELAS setting it ablaze, destroying 7044 tins of transmission oil, 90 tins of engine oil, 356 tins of Kerosene and 115 lbs of grease. The razing continued until many more buildings in the north east corner of the barracks containing the Brigade’s rations and some 40 vehicles are alight. The spilt fuel cascaded down the hill and caught fire, creating a wall of flames, bisecting the barracks. The air was filled with the sound of alarm whistles blown by the infantry barracks guards as every available soldier from Brigade Rear HQ, 463rd Battery 104th Regiment RHA, 1238th Field Company RE, 331st Coy RASC, 66th LAA Regiment and a mortar platoon of 11th KRRC stood-to in response. The British troops put up a valiant resistance, firing bren guns and 2 inch mortars at the ELAS force. They prevented them from seizing or destroying the ammunition stores and the Brigade’s 25 pounder artillery guns. But ELAS superior in numbers meant that some smaller formations were very quickly overwhelmed.
At 0800, RAF Spitfires arrived on scene to strafe the area to the Northeast of the Brigade Rear HQ. Meanwhile tanks of HQ and 5 troop, 46th RTR are readied if necessary. At 0900, ‘A’ company of 2 KINGS under the command of Major HV Richards arrived at the infantry barracks only to find that the attack was virtually over bar a few isolated pockets of resistance and the majority of ELAS Force No.1 had already withdrawn back through the very same hole in the wall after suffering over 200 casualties and 28 taken prisoner. In turn, the cost to the Brigade’s Rear HQ was 20 deaths, 40 others wounded, and worryingly over 100 taken prisoner, mostly coming from 331st Coy RASC and the 11th KRRC. As ELAS withdrew, they were themselves counter-attacked by troops of the Greek Mountain Brigade who recovered some of the troops that had been taken prisoner. A completely futile and unsuccessful counter-attack by ELAS followed later in the day which was successfully beaten off. Interrogated prisoners revealed that their ELAS commanders had deceived them by saying that the occupants of the barracks were Greeks and not British. An admission to 97th General Hospital on the 15th Dec 44. was Sapper Batchelor, from 1238th Field Company, Royal Engineers, who arrived on foot, badly wounded and in a highly distressed state. After being patched up, he was discharged to his unit, where he reported that soon after his capture by ELAS, on 13th December 1944, they took him to some ‘working class’ flats, only 500 yards from the Infantry Barracks he had been defending. Inside, he and some members of the Brigade RASC Company were stripped of their clothing and boots, then forced him to run up a nearby hill, whilst being fired at from behind. He believed that he was the only one to have escaped with his life.
GVF £175 Available
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Indian Army GV, Sowar, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse)
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Indian Army GV
1949 Sowar Ghulam Ali 13th Duke of C Lcrs (W Horse)
Early engraved naming type LSGC.
The Regiment was raised at Lahore, India by Lieutenants H C Cattley and J Watson in 1858 as 4th Regiment of Sikh Irregular Cavalry. Became 13th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry in 1861, 13th Regiment of Bengal Lancers in 1864, 13th (Duke of Connaught’s) Regiment of Bengal Lancers in 1884, 13th (Duke of Connaught’s) Bengal Lancers in 1901, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers in 1903, 13th Duke of Connaught’s Lancers (Watson’s Horse) in 1904, amalgamated to be 13th/16th Cavalry in 1921 and 6th Duke of Connaught’s Own Lancers in 1922.
GVF £95 Available
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Indian Army EVII, Sowar, 3rd Madras Lancers
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Indian Army EVII
263 Sowar Mubarak Ali Khan 3rd Madras Lcrs
The history of this regiment can be traced to 1784 when a force of cavalry was hired from the Nawab of Arcot by the East India Company. These Regiments subsequently mutinied over pay issues. The regiments involved were disbanded and from their remnants, volunteers formed the 2nd Madras Cavalry. This new regiment would eventually become the 7th Light Cavalry.The title was first changed to that of 3rd Madras Native Cavalry. Under this designation the regiment first saw action during the Third Mysore War in 1790, against Tipu Sultan. The regiment was next in action during the Fourth Mysore War in 1799. It subsequently fought with distinction at the Battle of Seringapatam and at the Battle of Mahidpur in the Pindari War of 1817, after which it was renamed the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry. For these actions the regiment was awarded the battle honors Mysore, Seringapatam and Mahidipore.
The Regiment was subsequently involved in several minor operations against the southern Mahrattas from 1844 to 1855. A detachment of the 3rd Madras Light Cavalry was then sent to join the Deccan Horse during the Mutiny of 1857. During the remainder of the 19th century the Regiment did not see any action. In 1891 the Regiment was converted to lancers, becoming the 3rd Regiment of Madras Lancers. In the reorganisation of the Indian Army of 1903, their title was changed to the 28th Light Cavalry. During this time the class composition of the Regiment was 33% Tamils, from Madras Residency, 33% Rajputs from Rajasthan and 34% Punjabi Dogras.
VF £125 Available
Meritorious Service Medal Indian Army GVI, Havildar, 2nd Battalion 13th Frontier Force Rifles
Meritorious Service Medal GVI Indian Army
9869 Hav Mr Zaman 2-13 F F Rif
The 2nd Battalion 13th Frontier Force Rifles fought in Burma as part of 4th Indian Infantry Brigade, 26th Infantry Division during the Second World War.
GVF £110 Available
Efficiency Medal Territorial GVI 2nd type, Junior Commander (Captain), Auxiliary Territorial Force (ATS)
Efficiency Medal Territorial GVI 2nd type
J Comd M Collier ATS
Miss Margaret Collier was commissioned 2nd Subaltern (2nd Lieutenant) ATS from the ranks 30th May 1941 (London Gazette 29th July 1941 page 4359). As a Junior Commander (Captain) she was awarded the Efficiency Medal Territorial London Gazette 14th April 1951 page 1808. Promoted Senior Commander (Major) 23rd September 1949 with seniority 5th December 1946 (London Gazette 16th December 1949 page 5952). Transferring from the Active List to the TA Reserve of Officers as Major, WRAC 23rd June 1950, retaining her seniority (London Gazette 1st August 1950 page 3944). Ceased to belong to the TA Reserve of Officers on reaching the age limit 18th January 1956 (London Gazette 20th January 1956 page 496).
Scarce to an ATS officer. First time on the market.
EF £175 Available
Navy Long Service and Good Conduct Medal EDVII Armourer’s Crew, HMS Rainbow, survived the sinking of HMS Ocean in the Dardanelles 18th March 1915.
Long Service and Good Conduct Medal Royal Navy EDVII
Walter Tidball CH Armr HMS Rainbow
With copy service records & 1WW medal roll entry
Walter Tidball born Teignmouth, Devon, on 8th April 1865, a General Smith he entered the Royal Navy as Armourers Crew 4th April 1888. Advanced to Armourers Mate 1st May 1893 at Cambridge, Armourer 1st February 1896 aboard HMS Royalist, Acting Chief Armourer 31st May 1901 at Vivid II, and Chief Armourer 14th June 1902 aboard HMS Rainbow. Awarded the Royal Navy Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 28th May 1903 whilst serving aboard HMS Rainbow. Discharged shore to pension 31st March 1910. Tidball re-entered the Royal Navy 2nd August 1914 and joined the Battleship HMS Ocean the same day and survived the sinking of this ship 18th March 1915.
In late 1914, Ocean participated in an attack on Basra before being transferred to Egypt to defend the Suez Canal. In February 1915, she was reassigned to the Dardanelles and she took part in several attacks on the Ottoman fortifications defending the Dardanelles. On 18th March, she attempted to retrieve the battleship HMS Irresistible after she had been badly damaged by a mine in Erenkui Bay, but had to abandon her salvage efforts due to heavy Turkish gunfire. She instead evacuated the surviving crew of Irresistible but struck a mine while making for the open sea. Badly damaged, her crew and the survivors of Irresistible were taken off by destroyers and Ocean left to sink in Morto Bay.
Transferring to HMS Agamemnon in the Dardanelles 19th March 1915, he subsequently joined Vivid II 1st April 1916 and was demobilized 29th January 1919. HMS Rainbow transferred to the Royal Canadian Navy in 1910.
GVF £125 Available
Long Service & Good Conduct Medal Royal Navy GVI 2nd type Petty Officer Telegrapher, HMS Mercury awarded the Bronze Medal of the Order of Orange Nassau in 1947.
Long Service & Good Conduct Medal Regular Royal Navy GVI 2nd type
JX.139054 S J Parkyn PO TEL HMS Mercury
With copies from the Admiralty recommendation file TNA ADM1/29826.
Sidney John Parkyn was born in Portsmouth 21st November 1916, awarded the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 25th November 1949, he died in Portsmouth in 2000.
Bronze Medal of the Order of Orange Nassau London Gazette 4th March 1947 page 1045, the official recommendation states – Leading Telegraphist Sidney John Parkyn P/JX.139054
“In charge of the Wireless Office of the Dutch Naval Vessel Johan Maurits from 29th March 1944 until the middle of September 1944, during which time he succeeded in making the Dutch Telegraphists thoroughly familiar with the British wireless system and coding and took great trouble in preparing them for the British W/T examination”.
Only 30 Bronze Medals of the Order of Orange Nassau had been approved for award to the Royal Navy by May 1945, Parkyn’s award being one of these.
GVF £295 Available
Efficiency Medal GVI “Territorial” 2nd type, Private, Royal Army Ordnance Corps late Royal Military Police
Efficiency Medal GVI “Territorial” 2nd type
7894800 Pte F Lawson RAOC
With copy War Office casualty List recording wounded in North West Europe in July 1944 whilst serving with the Royal Military Police. Service number indicates RMP enlistment.
GVF £110 Available